Travel to Italy
Cheap flights from Madrid to Italy
Italy inspires. The most colourful country in Europe is steeped in history, spectacular traditions, art, creative filmmaking, fashion and exquisite cuisine.
Southern Italy always amazes people with its Mediterranean charm: small villages with typical Italian houses and balconies, narrow streets and beautiful, quiet beaches. They say it is the south that still maintains the fiery spirit of Italy.
It is recommendable to start the adventurous route through southern Italy from the ancient city of Naples and then go down through Pompeii, Castel del Monte and San Foca as far as Sorrento. Of all southern Italy, Naples and Pompeii are two cities that deserve special attention.
They say that Naples is like a theatre under the sky because of its colourful streets, its sea, its open and friendly people, its folk culture, chaos and pizza.
Here is a list of musts to see and do when you travel to Naples
- Take a walk through the Plaza del Plebiscito near the Royal Palace. Having been there, we recommend seeing the most famous landmarks of the city like the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola, the Salerno Palace, and the Prefecture Palace.
- Castillo Dell´Ovo offers panoramic views of the Gulf of Naples and Vesuvius. - Naples is the city that you discover in the streets, so a visit to Spaccanapoli (the area that divides the old city into the south and north districts) is a must. It is home to the Duomo, the Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore and Piazza del Gesú…and the best ice cream parlours.
- Galleria Umberto I - a shopping arcade built between 1887 and 1890 by the famous engineer Emmanuele Rocco. - The Veiled Christ sculpture (Sansevero Chapel) made by Giuseppe Sanmartino is considered the authentic jewel of Italy. Specialists consider it the masterpiece of world sculpture.
- Eat a Margarita pizza, the invention of Raffaele Esposito in honour of Queen Margaret, consisting of tomato, mozzarella, oil and basil.
Pompeii – the incredibly beautiful city of ash
Buses from Naples to Pompeii run every 1-2 hours from the SITA bus station in Nuova Marina and take only 35 minutes to arrive. When you're in Pompeii it is a must to see the Forum hot baths, the Amphitheatre and the house of Octavius Quartio. We recommend you to book tickets to the main sites in advance to avoid queues and also to wear comfortable shoes for walking around the ruins.
- Cheap flights from Madrid to Naples