Travelling with pets
Pets such as dogs, cats, tortoises, birds, etc., meeting the legal restrictions and documentary requirements, can be accepted as checked baggage or cabin baggage, although excess baggage rates must apply thereto.
If the animal travels from a non-EU country, it will not be granted access to the following destinations:
- Santa Cruz de la Palma
Animals belonging to mustelid species (martens, etc.) are not allowed to travel with Iberia Express, except for ferrets. No mustelids of any kind are allowed in connecting flights with Iberia.
As a general rule, live animals must travel in the aircraft hold, in suitable containers or carriers provided by the passenger. Containers must comply with the following characteristics:
- Strength and safety
- Comfortable lodging according to the size of the animal
- A closing system guaranteeing that it will not open any time
- Waterproofed floor
If the container does not meet these requirements the animal will not be allowed to travel
Accepted as PETC:
- Birds (except birds of prey)
- Aquiarium turtle
- Some rodents (hamsters, guinea pig or little rabbits)
Accepted as AVIH:
- Animals accepted as PETC
- Reptiles (except aquarium turtles)
Neither accepted as PETC nor AVIH:
When the animals do not go accompanied by their owners or legal representative..
- Commercial deliveries of pets or deliveries considered as commercial.
- Protected species in danger of extinction.
- Carnivorous and adult animals of non-classified species as pets.
- Laboratory animals.
- Weaned animals.
- Pregnant animals.
- Animals neither accepted as PETC nor AVIH can be accepted as cargo in some cases, for this it shall be done the convenient process with the Department of Cargo of the company.
According to IATA regulations, Iberia Express does not allow the transportation of some animals of the species of the “mustelidae” (weasels, martens, minks, skunks, etc...).
*Brachycephalic breeds are not accepted in the hold./p>
At the passenger's request and following the approval of the Booking Office, some pets may be authorised to travel inside the cabin provided that the following conditions are met:
- Maximum weight of the animal allowed, including the container or cage, will be 8 kg, including the weight of the container or cage where the animal will be travelling. Maximum dimensions of the container will be 45 cm long x 35 cm wide x 25 cm deep, provided that the sum of these three dimensions does not exceed 105 cm. The container must meet these conditions considering that the animal will travel under the passenger's feet.
- The animal must travel in a suitable, strong, ventilated container, with a secure and waterproofed floor. This container must be provided by the passenger or purchased at the airport by 25 EUR.
- For birds, please ensure that the cage is strong, locks securely and that no food or drink can spill. The cage must also always be covered.
- You can carry several animals of the same species in the same container if they are small and light enough.
- Animals with special characteristics, e.g., a strong odour, etc., may bother other passengers and the crew, and you will not be able to carry them.
- Your pet should travel with you without bothering other passengers.
- Passengers carrying animals in the cabin cannot occupy the seats located in the aisles next to the emergency exits.
- Animals cannot leave their containers inside the cabin, it is your responsibility to take care of them.
Due to the fact that the number of cages and dimensions thereof is limited depending on the type of aircraft, any animals travelling on the plane must get the prior authorisation of the Booking Office. The travel will only be authorised after all routes have been confirmed. The weight and the size of the animal must not exceed the reference limits in the outward flight or the return flight.
Countries with laws restricting animal entry:
Flights to the United Kingdom:
- Animals are not admitted in the cabin (PETC) on flights to the United Kingdom. No reservations from the Call Centre will be processed.
- On flights to the United Kingdom we only accept animals as freight. Please speak with a freight agent, who will made the booking with Iberia Cargo.
- In order to process a reservation for animals travelling as freight from United Kingdom to Madrid, you must contact the cargo booking department, which is open to the public from Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 18.00 h, on the phone number: 91 186 47 92, on the website www.iagcargo.com and at the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
Your reservation must be made at least 3 working days before the flight.
Flights from the United Kingdom
Animals are admitted to the cabin (PETC) and in the hold (AVIH) for flights from the United Kingdom, fulfilling the requirements for Travel to Members States of the European Union.
Cats and dogs with shortened, flat noses and a proportionately wide head are defined as brachycephalic.
Dog breeds: Affenpinscher, Boston Terrier, Boxer (all breeds), Brussels Griffon, Bull Mastiff, Bulldog (all breeds), Cane Corso, Pug (all breeds), Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chihuahua, Japanese Chin, Chow Chow, French Mastiff, English Toy Spaniel, Brussels Griffon, Japanese Spaniel, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Mastiff (all breeds), Pekingese, Miniature Pinscher, Pit Bull, Canary Mastiff, Saint Bernard, Shar-Pei, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel, Yorkshire Terrier.
Cat breeds: Burmese, Himalayan, Exotic Shorthair, Persian.
>strong>Brachycephalic dogs and cats may only travel in the cabin on passenger flights starting 11 August 2016. The combined weight of the pet and carrier must be 8 kg or less.
Rates for the carriage of pets in the cabin: PETC
- Spain: € 25 per leg
- Europe: € 50 per leg
Rates for the carriage of pets in the hold: AVIH
- Spain and Europe: € 120 per leg
Single charge payable exclusively at the airport.
- Different charges, taxes or duties may apply in accordance with the laws of each country.
Please be advised that:
- Guide dogs will only be accepted in the cabin when they accompany passengers who depend on them to get around.
- They must be muzzled if they travel in the cabin.
- They cannot occupy a seat and will travel next to the passenger in the place that disturbs other passengers the least.
- They can travel without any additional charge both in the cabin and in the hold.
- The animal’s weight will not be included in the passenger's free baggage allowance for the trip.
- The same regulations with regard to acceptance, documentation, waiver on the part of Iberia Express and type of container (if travelling in the hold) will apply as for other pets.
In case of deaf passengers, a medical confirmation certificate will be required.
Emotional support animals are those that some passengers need to carry with them following an explicit medical advice, on medical grounds or for emotional support.
Please bear in mind that:
- Emotional support animals are different from the other pets and they are not subject to weight limits or container size restrictions.
- For these animals to be accepted, passengers must submit a certificate from their physician clearly stating such need, or a certificate proving that the dog has been specifically trained to perform this function.
- All documents required must be submitted 48 h before the flight departure.